On the occasion of Esri Inc. 50th anniversary and the International GIS Day in Bulgaria that will be held on November 13 (Wednesday) at Sofia Hotel Balkan, ESRI Bulgaria together with its partners are pleased to invite you to join the
National map contest
“Stories, Projects and Dreams on a Map”
Create yours, inspire others
We invite all young and grown-up explorers to tell their stories on a map with the help of Geographic Information Systems. If you could tell a story, describe a dream or showcase your project on a map, what would you create?
Take our challenge and create your own map to tell a story that will last in time and inspire others!
To participate, please:
1. Confirm your intention to opt-in by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2.Story Maps: use one of the applications at www.storymaps-classic.arcgis.com and include all the resources you have – photos, videos, articles, etc. to create a beautiful dynamic map. Send us a public link for it by 04.11.2019 at email@example.com. All the content in your story map needs to be shared publicly and must not require username and password.
3. Send a file with your print map to the above email: .TIFF or .EPS formats; 300dpi; size A1 till 04.11.2019 or bring us/send by courier the printed map in size A1 till 08.11.2019.
The exhibition will accompany the GIS Day Conference and the Official Cocktail, where hundreds of representatives of the central and local government, businesses, the academic community, the non-governmental sector, and the media in the country are expected to attend.
Both organizations and individual participants can participate in the contest. Your map can be related to a special experience, useful information, historical or factual data, with your own or public project. You can pay attention to a problem, educate people on a particular topic or call for support for a particular cause.
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- History and culture (maps representing cultural events, festivals, celebrations, traditions, cultural monuments, historical sites, towns, communities, nations, localities, etc.);
- Education (maps connected to the education and learning process, school, university, course, and everything that helps us develop new and useful knowledge);
- Travel and tourism (familiar and unknown places, roads, sights, and experiences related to the beauty of our homeland);
- Sustainable development (maps related to topics such as the environment, urban development, personal or public causes, good practices and examples from the activities of organizations and many others).
The winner in each category receives the following prizes:
1. An annual license for the world’s leading GIS software Esri ArcGIS Desktop;
2. One year of unlimited access to the richest e-education center for geospatial technologies – Esri Training;
3. Certificate for Esri Bulgaria;
4. Specialized atlas with Modern GIS Maps “Esri Map Book”;
5. GiftBox with books from Ciela publishing house;
The best maps of each category will be posted on the National Geographic Bulgaria website.
3. What does an interactive map (Stroy Map) mean?
The interactive maps help you tell a thrilling story in a new way by combining authoritative maps with narrative text, images, and multimedia content. They make it easy to harness the power of maps and geography to tell your story. Check out this example:
4. Gather inspiration. Applications for Story Maps
We give you the tools and resources to create your map in an easy, fast, and exciting way. Here are 4 ready-made templates that you can use right away. Working with the templates is extremely easy, but for even greater ease we have prepared materials to help you get inspiration.
4.1.Story Map Journal
A Map Journal contains entries, called sections, that your readers can simply scroll through. Each section in a Map Journal has an associated map, image, video or web page.
4.2.Story Map Shortlist
The Story Map Shortlist app template lets you points of interest into tabs that make it fun for users to explore what’s in an area.
The Story Map Cascade app template lets you combine narrative text with maps, images, and multimedia content in an engaging, full-screen scrolling experience.
4.4.Story Map Series
The Story Map Series app template lets you present a series of maps via tabs, numbered bullets, or our expandable ‘side accordion’ control. In addition to maps, you can also include images, video and web content to tell your story and engage your audience.
Details of the prizes and full participation rules can be found here.
For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The possibilities are unlimited. All you need is an inspiration to share your story!