On the occasion of the 20th International GIS Day in Bulgaria that will be held on November 14 (Wednesday) at Sofia Hotel Balkan (Sheraton), ESRI Bulgaria together with its partners are pleased to invite you to join the
National map contest
“Rediscover Bulgaria with GIS”
We invite all young and grown-up discoverers to tell their story on a map and rediscover Bulgaria with the help of the Geographic Information Systems. If you could tell a story and put it on a map, what would it be?
Take our challenge and tell your story that will stay in time!
To participate, please:
1. Confirm your intention to opt in by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2.Story Maps: use one of the applications at www.storymaps.arcgis.com and include all the resources you have – photos, videos, articles, etc. to create a beautiful dynamic map. Send us a link for it by 11.11.2018 at email@example.com. All the content in your story map needs to be shared publicly and must not require username and password.
3. Send a file with your print map to the above email: .TIFF or .EPS formats; 300dpi; size A1 or bring us/send by courier the printed map in size A1 till 11.11.2018.
The exhibition will accompany the GIS Day Conference and the Official Cocktail, where hundreds of representatives of the central and local government, businesses, the academic community, non-governmental sector, and the media in the country are expected to attend.
Both organizations and individual participants can participate in the contest. Your map can be related to a special experience, useful information, historical or factual data, with your own or public project. You can pay attention to a problem, educate people on a particular topic or call for support for a particular cause.
Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
- History and culture (maps representing cultural events, festivals, celebrations, traditions, cultural monuments, historical sites, towns, communities, nations, localities, etc.);
- Education (maps connected to the education and learning process, school, university, course, and everything that helps us develop new and useful knowledge);
- Travel and tourism (familiar and unknown places, roads, sights, and experiences related to the beauty of our homeland);
- Sustainable development (maps related to topics such as the environment, urban development, personal or public causes, good practices and examples from the activities of organizations and many others).
The possibilities are unlimited. All you have to do is rediscover them!
The winner in each category receives the following prizes:
1.An annual license for the world’s leading GIS software Esri ArcGIS Desktop;
2.Ticket for a destination chosen by the winner of 250 lv.;
3. Certificate for “Esri Map Expert”;
4.Specialized atlas with Modern GIS Cards “Esri Map Book”
The best maps of each category will be posted on the National Geographic Bulgaria website.
3. What does an interactive map (Stroy Map) mean?
The interactive maps help you tell a thrilling story in a new way by combining authoritative maps with narrative text, images, and multimedia content. They make it easy to harness the power of maps and geography to tell your story. Check out this example:
4. Gather inspiration. Applications for Story Maps
We give you the tools and resources to create your map in an easy, fast, and exciting way. Here are 4 ready-made templates that you can use right away. Working with the templates is extremely easy, but for even greater ease we have prepared materials to help you get inspiration.
4.1.Story Map Journal
A Map Journal contains entries, called sections, that your readers can simply scroll through. Each section in a Map Journal has an associated map, image, video or web page.
4.2.Story Map Shortlist
The Story Map Shortlist app template lets you points of interest into tabs that make it fun for users to explore what’s in an area.
The Story Map Cascade app template lets you combine narrative text with maps, images, and multimedia content in an engaging, full-screen scrolling experience.
4.4.Story Map Series
The Story Map Series app template lets you present a series of maps via tabs, numbered bullets, or our expandable ‘side accordion’ control. In addition to maps, you can also include images, video and web content to tell your story and engage your audience.
Details of the prizes and full participation rules can be found at Esri_Map_Contest_Rules
For further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Let’s continue to rediscover Bulgaria together!